How to Apply
Potential applicants are encouraged to correspond with the director, Dr. Peter Welsh at firstname.lastname@example.org, and to visit the campus to discuss their interests and the program with faculty and students.
To be considered for admission to regular graduate status in the program, a student must hold a bachelor's degree and have earned at least a B (3.0) grade-point average in previous academic work. Acceptance in the program is determined by the Museum Studies Admissions Committee. A student interested in applying for admission must submit the following:
1. A completed application, along with a non-refundable application fee, submitted online through the Office of Graduate Studies.
2. Transcripts from all undergraduate or graduate institutions attended. You may upload a scanned version of your official transcript from your undergraduate institution to the online application. Please note: A printout from a student portal is NOT considered to be an official copy of your transcript. Official transcripts will be required upon admission to the program. In addition, please calculate your junior/senior GPA and include it on your resume.
3. A statement of your academic and career objectives. In 2-3 pages, you might address topics such as why museums and museum studies are particularly interesting to you; the area of museum work that most interests you; your relevant experience and background; how the degree will support or enhance your goals; how KU's program matches your interests; and anything else you think is important to your application.
4. 3 letters of recommendation. (Please use KU’s online letter of recommendation system when you apply).
5. GRE scores. To submit scores, use University code 6871, Department code 5101.
6. A resume or curriculum vitae listing your employment history, scholarships/fellowships, and awards.
7. A sample of your best academic work (10 pages maximum, please).
8. For international students only, TOEFL scores or acceptable alternative to demonstrate English proficiency.
9. For international students only, proof of financial support. Applications will not be considered without financial documentation.
Students are admitted to the M.A. program only in the fall semester. The deadline for submitting applications is January 1.The Museum Studies Admissions Committee will begin considering applicants for fall admission in mid-January.